You have arrived in the LEXXVERSE where the spirit of Lexx lives on. Home


Why no Ellen Dubin in "The Game"?
 Moderated by: Ketana, CheshireKat, aeonflux  

New Topic

Reply

Print
AuthorPost
Securityguardclass4
Heretic


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 40
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 29th, 2009 05:43 pm

Quote

Reply
I've always wondered why Ellen Dubin was not included in the chess episode. Wouldn't the Queen of planet Fire be the perfect Queen for Prince's team? After all, she was the female equivalent of Prince. Why go with Bunny? Wouldn't the naive and gullible Bunny have worked better as a pawn? That's basically what Priest and Prince used her as anyway.
This seems like such an obvious oversight on the part of the beans? Perhaps it was just something simple like a scheduling conflict or something.
Does anyone know?

:xre_21:



____________________
I have killed mothers with their babies; I have killed great philosophers; brave young warriors and revolutionaires. I have killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. And I have done this all in the service of Truthiness.
Angel
Divine Executioner


Joined: Tue Oct 24th, 2006
Location: Keeping Kool With Kai...
Posts: 11442
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2009 03:14 am

Quote

Reply
Good question, I have no idea. Maybe ask Ellen if she was ever considered, or maybe Lex would have an idea.



____________________
The dead do not squeeze and please....
Securityguardclass4
Heretic


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 40
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2009 03:55 am

Quote

Reply
Angel wrote: Good question, I have no idea. Maybe ask Ellen if she was ever considered, or maybe Lex would have an idea.
I can not contact Ellen, perhaps I will add her as a friend. No harm I suppose. I could ask Lex I guess.  Or maybe just save the question for the next interview you guys have with someone from the show.



____________________
I have killed mothers with their babies; I have killed great philosophers; brave young warriors and revolutionaires. I have killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. And I have done this all in the service of Truthiness.
Angel
Divine Executioner


Joined: Tue Oct 24th, 2006
Location: Keeping Kool With Kai...
Posts: 11442
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2009 11:58 am

Quote

Reply
You can send Ellen an email too, she has it at the end of her interview.



____________________
The dead do not squeeze and please....
Securityguardclass4
Heretic


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 40
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2009 02:07 pm

Quote

Reply
I sent her an email. Good idea. Why didn't I think of that?



____________________
I have killed mothers with their babies; I have killed great philosophers; brave young warriors and revolutionaires. I have killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. And I have done this all in the service of Truthiness.
Be_You_
Heretic


Joined: Wed Feb 18th, 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay, California USA
Posts: 342
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2009 01:02 am

Quote

Reply
In my occasionally humble opinion, The Game preceded by two episodes Apocalexx Now, which was Ellen Dubin's first appearance in season 4. She had only made one appearance in Lexx since the first season - as Queen in season 3's Girltown - so it could have been that her character was thought to be too obscure. HDS appeared as Prince's rooks in The Game, but HDS was somewhat more of a key element in the storyline than Gigerotta/Queen was. Am I willing to be proven wrong? Yes I am.

Securityguardclass4
Heretic


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 40
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2009 01:33 am

Quote

Reply
Be_You_ wrote: In my occasionally humble opinion, The Game preceded by two episodes Apocalexx Now, which was Ellen Dubin's first appearance in season 4. She had only made one appearance in Lexx since the first season - as Queen in season 3's Girltown - so it could have been that her character was thought to be too obscure. HDS appeared as Prince's rooks in The Game, but HDS was somewhat more of a key element in the storyline than Gigerotta/Queen was. Am I willing to be proven wrong? Yes I am.

Yeah, I get that she didn't show up in S4 until after the game, but when the script was first written you would think someone would have said...hey wait a minute, we need to introduce Giggerotta before this episode so she can be a part of it.  And besides, she popped up in the middle of S2 in patches and S3 in girltown without any prior mentioning. She always popped up, surprising Stan at the worst possible time. Her showing up on the chess board could have lead to another great giggy/stan exchange seeing as how their was so much trash talking going on between the chess pieces.
And one more thing....the Queen on princes team gets eliminated but then returns just near the end of the game when a pawn becomes a new Queen, much the same way Giggy died and kept coming back.



____________________
I have killed mothers with their babies; I have killed great philosophers; brave young warriors and revolutionaires. I have killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. And I have done this all in the service of Truthiness.
Be_You_
Heretic


Joined: Wed Feb 18th, 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay, California USA
Posts: 342
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2009 02:45 am

Quote

Reply
Securityguardclass4 wrote: Be_You_ wrote: In my occasionally humble opinion, The Game preceded by two episodes Apocalexx Now, which was Ellen Dubin's first appearance in season 4. She had only made one appearance in Lexx since the first season - as Queen in season 3's Girltown - so it could have been that her character was thought to be too obscure. HDS appeared as Prince's rooks in The Game, but HDS was somewhat more of a key element in the storyline than Gigerotta/Queen was. Am I willing to be proven wrong? Yes I am.

Yeah, I get that she didn't show up in S4 until after the game, but when the script was first written you would think someone would have said...hey wait a minute, we need to introduce Giggerotta before this episode so she can be a part of it.  And besides, she popped up in the middle of S2 in patches and S3 in girltown without any prior mentioning. She always popped up, surprising Stan at the worst possible time. Her showing up on the chess board could have lead to another great giggy/stan exchange seeing as how their was so much trash talking going on between the chess pieces.
And one more thing....the Queen on princes team gets eliminated but then returns just near the end of the game when a pawn becomes a new Queen, much the same way Giggy died and kept coming back.


I forgot about Giggy's appearance as a phantasm in Patches In The Sky. Ellen Dubin is my favorite of all the Lexx beauties so I agree with the thrust of your post. And if she'd been on the chessboard in The Game, it would have provided a chance for her to dine on the gore resulting from a pawn's 'splitting' headache.
On the other hand, the pawns were more nondescript than Bunny ever could be; ATF agents on the White side and mothbreeders on the Black.
Also, Bunny as queen possibly gave her a more solid platform to play her conflicted and ambiguous role: the powerful ally of - or at least favorite tool of - Prince yet with moral quibbles preventing her being willfully evil. She also acted that way in Dutch Treat when she hesitated to destroy the Earth.
Bunny, of course, was reincarnated on Earth after being one of the planet Water's heavenly inhabitants and it was fascinating that all of Prince's power wasn't quite able to coopt her coopt her completely. Or am I out to lunch?

Securityguardclass4
Heretic


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 40
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2009 02:53 am

Quote

Reply
No. You are not out to lunch. We are both accurate in a way. But I think the overriding point remains that Giggy was Queen in S3. I just can't get past that. I still say there must have been a scheduling conflict or something. It just seems to obvious for them to miss. If not and they really did just go with Bunny, then I have to respectfully disagree with their choice even though you did make several strong points in Bunny's favor.
I sent Ellen an email asking this same question, let's hope she can shed some light on the matter.



____________________
I have killed mothers with their babies; I have killed great philosophers; brave young warriors and revolutionaires. I have killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. And I have done this all in the service of Truthiness.
Bad Carrot
Heretic
 

Joined: Wed Sep 17th, 2008
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 29
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 01:04 am

Quote

Reply
Actually Ellen was in Lexx Season 4 early on (Stan Down) when she's the realtor being told she's the new Pope. I think Giggerota was a much less obscure character than the Time Prophet, and she was used in The Game.



____________________
Be_You_
Heretic


Joined: Wed Feb 18th, 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay, California USA
Posts: 342
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 02:25 am

Quote

Reply
Bad Carrot wrote: Actually Ellen was in Lexx Season 4 early on (Stan Down) when she's the realtor being told she's the new Pope. I think Giggerota was a much less obscure character than the Time Prophet, and she was used in The Game.
I think I might have touched a nerve by suggesting that Gigerotta might have been considered obscure. No offense intended!
Furthermore, I "Stan" corrected with respect to Ellen Dubin's first appearance in Season 4. (I am so glad now that I acknowledged a willingness to be corrected on that in my earlier post - as opposed to writing something to the effect of "I'll defend my statement with my last breath.") But on the other hand, the Time Prophet wasn't obscure at all, having been introduced in the first moments of the first episode, and then reappearing in Supernova, Gigashadow, and Brigadoom - as played by an actress (playing an actress?). I can't put my finger on it, but I'm pretty sure she was referred to in other episodes.
In season four, Ellen Dubin played Genevieve G. Rota, which was clearly a reference to Gigerotta, but she wasn't the same character, so if she was in The Game, which persona would she have exhibited? That could have been another reason why it was decided to leave her out of the episode.

"I'm the pope
 I aint no dope
 I am for hope

 wine, wafers and water and wine
 kiss my ring and cross my heart."

-Genevieve G. Rota, upon hearing the news she was headed for the Holy See.




Bad Carrot
Heretic
 

Joined: Wed Sep 17th, 2008
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 29
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 11:09 am

Quote

Reply
I wasn't offended at all! lol As for the Time Prophet, I think she had a lot less screentime than Gigerotta overall, might be wrong though. About whether or not she was the same character, that argument could be applied to just about every recurring character/actor throughout the series.



____________________
Angel
Divine Executioner


Joined: Tue Oct 24th, 2006
Location: Keeping Kool With Kai...
Posts: 11442
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 01:23 pm

Quote

Reply
The older lady who played the Time Prophet, also played the older Vlad in season four before she got Kai's protoblood. Other than the game, that's the only time I can recall her in season four.



____________________
The dead do not squeeze and please....

 Current time is 03:18 am


Quick Reply
Enter your quick reply:



Black_metal theme exclusively by: WowBB Theme Mall
Powered by WowBB 1.7 - Copyright © 2003-2006 Aycan Gulez
SciFi Updates